Thursday, December 17, 2009

Thank you for being there still

After 18+ hours of plane ride, I was finally back to where I left 8.5 years ago. As expected, nothing had changed since the last time I visited: loud people, empty airport, and reckless driving. Knowing that this time is likely to be a unusally long stay (?) in Taiwan (it's funny how I no longer call it my home), I paid more attention to the surroundings on the way back home. Besides a few more construction sites along the hill, everything else seemed the same.

The moment the car turned into the alley, I heard familarly loud barking from our garden. The two black puppies, Maru and Mini, grew much bigger and had deeper, louder barks than 3 months ago. As I walked toward them, I started noticing something missing in the typical reunion scene. I immediately turned around and anxiously looked for Kawai, the old Schnauzer. I couldn't help but recalling four years ago when I found out that my beloved Chinchilla feline brother, Mimi, had passed away. It also happened when I came back from Beijing for vacation. I was afraid that my parents decided to hide a similar news about Kawai from me until I come back to see it for myself. Fortunately I finally found her in the garage, waiting eagerly for my attention. Suddenly I felt really happy for the first time after I left Chicago; it was the first and possibly the only thing I had hoped to stay the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment